10 October 2011

My Hausa Adventure in Ghana

I haven’t published a blog post for a while because I am currently in Accra, Ghana, getting used to being back on African soil, not having to wear coats and boots and dealing in Cedis and Pesewas, instead of Pounds and Pence.

There are more Hausa people in Ghana than I thought. The main languages here are Twi, Ga, Ewe and English, but a sizable minority speak Hausa, so much so that when calling the Airtel mobile network to register my new Ghana SIM-card for my phone, the automated message said “Press 1 for English, Press Two for Twi, Press Three for Hausa.”

The house I stayed in in Ghana

I’ve also met some Hausa people in my two weeks since arriving in Ghana. The first was a roast meat seller-man in Osu, Ghana’s Oxford Street. My friends and I were bargaining for a good price on the spicy delicacy (the NHS nurse in London where I got my ‘African holiday injections’ told me to stay away from street food, but it’s oh so delicious!) the meat-seller looked Hausa so I tried my luck and asked “Ka na jin Hausa?" (Do you understand Hausa?)”

He laughed and nodded. I wondered if he laughed because my sentence composition was a bit off. Anyway, my friends, thrilled that they may get a good price on the meats because I could bargain in the man’s language, encouraged me to haggle with him. So I asked for tasters, softer meats and a good price. “Wuni irin nama ne wanan?" (What kind of meat is this?)” I asked. “Shanu (Cow)” he replied. He then said something along the lines of “It’s tough meat, but here are some soft pieces for you”, but he said it so quickly that I had to ask him to repeat it twice. I’ll give myself 5 out of 10 for that Hausa transaction.

Then we continued walking along Osu until a stall selling beautiful African print dresses caught my eye. The stall-owner was also Hausa and he was sweet as he patiently responded to my Hausa-English-Pidgin hybrid (“A-a, zan baka goma-sha-biyu mana, ko? That’s fair now, haba. Wanan riga ya yi kyau, ama ya yi tsada!") He ended up giving me a good price for a beautiful blue African-print strapless dress.

It felt good: here I was, speaking my Mother-tongue in the Motherland! I brimmed with pride.

The lady that did my hair (Back-length ‘pick and drop’ style for those that know) was also Hausa. She’d started plaiting when she received a call and had a brief Hausa conversation. So I told her that I understood and she told me she was originally from a Hausa-speaking tribe in Burkina Faso but her family had settled in Ghana. She also spoke Twi, Ga and English. I quickly realised that most Ghanaians spoke at least two Ghanaian languages as well as English.

Unlike with the meat-seller, I struggled a little to understand her accent but we still had a short conversation before reverting back to English. I’ll give myself 7 out of 10 for that exchange.

The next Hausa person I met was a Suya-Seller near our house (Suya is another type of meat delicacy seasoned with tasty spices). The man’s ‘office’ consisted of him standing in front of a rudimentary barbecue-cum-work-top with a few red onions, spices in a bag, knives, skewers, the grill and a notebook from which he tore out a page to wrap the suya-meat in for customers. We went up to him and I asked again “Ka na jin Hausa?” This time this man, who was older and stricter than the other meat-seller, responded “A-a, ni Bahaushe ne! (I don’t just speak it, I am a Hausa man.)” Implying that anyone can speak Hausa, but he in fact was an original Hausa man.

This transaction was less fun, as he was less patient with me. I got the impression he saw me as a silly British girl trying to practice Hausa for fun when he was trying to earn a living. The suya meat was delicious though.

Ghana has been fun so far, even though my first experience of the country was a bad one: getting off the plane, we had to walk down stairs and I was lugging my heavy hand-luggage with me, and despite there being around five stewards, security men etc around, they all watched as I hauled the suitcase down the stairs by myself, until with just three steps to go, one of the younger men helped me carry it down. I was not impressed. In the UK the men would surely have helped.

An elder Ghanaian woman who had seen me struggling said I should have asked for help. “But I thought they would offer” I sulked. “There are no gentlemen like that in Africa anymore o!” She said, and laughed.

But since then Ghana has redeemed itself. The people are very friendly and easy-going, the weather is hot but not too harsh and although Accra is not as swanky or architecturally-developed as Abuja, its peaceful, humble nature won me over.

I enjoyed the open-air gardens: sitting sipping Malta or Alvaro soft drinks in the cool night breeze as thumping (often Nigerian) High/Hip Life music blasted from the speakers and one or two tipsy Ghanaians Makosaed in the dark; the beach-front hotels and sandy/rocky beaches (sometimes the sea was just yards from traffic) the markets and the shopping malls, where we saw lights and cameras inside one particular jewellery store as they filmed a scene for a Ghanaian movie, which saw the young actress beaming as she swept her fabulous weave away from her neck to allow her Romeo to fasten an expensive- looking necklace to it.
One of the beaches we visited

I’m also enjoying the one Cedi food stuffs from the street sellers. I've stayed away from the small Pure Water bags and only drink from sealed plastic bottles, but so far I’ve bought chin-chin, roasted pork, meat and fish pies, Kelewele (seasoned plantains with groundnuts) and even sweet green apples from a traffic-hawker who cantered to keep up with our slowly-moving car in rush hour as he shoved the fruits wrapped in cling-film through our car window.

But don’t tell the NHS nurse!

21 comments:

  1. you eating all sorts ! I pity pity pity you ! Hope you have travel insurance !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the photos / videos or do I have to beg before you post them ! Stop torturing us and post pics of those places and street traders !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, I do worry about eating all the street food...I don't recommend it.

    Pictures are coming soon, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just passed the "Versatile Blogger" award on to you. Congratulations! Please check my blog (relentlessbuilder.blogspot.com) for more details. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, thanks Relentless Builder. My very first blogging award! Let's see...I'd like to thank my...just kidding.

    And that's a great blog you have there, I giggled to the 'The Myth of the Nigerian accent' post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh the life!! And you're living it!! I've got the perfect soundtrack for your travels: "In Ghana" - Wanlov the Kubolor. You'll dig it for sure.

    You need to perfect your "damsel in distress" poise, pout and positioning girl...get it right and whether Krakow, Luton or Kampala - that man will carry quickly!

    Looking forward to the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, if u don't post the pics or video within 7 day, I could have you deported to England. I mean it. I'm not joking or smiling.

    What type of phone do u have with u? I'm sure it's iPhone or blackberry, so u have no excuse cos there's camera on your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol,funny posts...loved my trip to Ghana too, i was there in June, i brought a lot of street food too i won't lie, mostly fried yam and plantain..very nice, did you try their Baku and groundnut soup..delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, Jemima, fried yam and plantain is my kind of food! Where and how much? Lol. I've tried Banku, sadly I'm not a fan (too sour) I'm yet to try groundnut soup. But I've also had Waace (which is a hausa word for beans that Nigerian Hausas pronounce Wake), shito in all colours and variety of spiciness and burgers at Frankies, which were the best!

    As you can tell, I love food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol @ damsel in distress Mr Victory. I still have the cut on my arm where the suitcase handle scratched me as I carried it downstairs as the men watched....grrrr....

    Anonymous I dey come o! I left my blackberry cable that transfers my pics unto my laptop in England, but it's been sent to me sharp sharp so I'll have the pics up by the end of the month.

    Pls don't have me deported!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What do you like most about Ghana?
    What do you hate most about Ghana?

    If you answer the above, you have my permission to stay as long as you want and I will see to it that you are not deported back to England from Ghana.






    I'm kidding about having you deported from Ghana. I won't do that to you - making you cry your eyes out, etc, moreover, there are too many Ghanians in the UK, so, stay there for as long as you want - as British export to Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol @ British export.

    Another good thing about Ghana is that people wake up very early here, and this has rubbed off on me as by 5:30am I'm up, alive and kicking. The cockerels having their dawn crowing matches outside my window are my new alarm clocks, or should I say alarm cocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What do you hate most about Ghana? You can answer. I'm not Ghanian Immigration. I'm British Immigration. See you at the airport.

    Is there power failure over there - compared to Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The electricity here is very steady compared to Nigerian, only five power cuts in the near month I've been here.

    But things are more expensive than I thought! A 20 minute cab fare for 12 cedis, a burger for 15 cedis, etc...even tiny choco-milo sweets are not 1 pesewas each like you would think, but 10 pesewas each!

    Oh, and many Ghanaians don't really like Nigerians. They think there's too many of us coming into their country and engaging in criminal acts for money...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see. Years ago at Uni, a friend (who was Ghanian / British) told me her mum said she would disown her if she went out with Nigerian. She told me older Ghanian don't like Nigerians. I had no intention of having a relationship with her, but I eventually did cut her off. I didn't know Ghanians hated Nigerians that much. I used to think it was petty rivalry, but apparently in their eyes, we are all or potential criminals. I can't stand or have time for small minded people - be they Nigerians, Indians or white or black people.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah it's sad. Although there have been Nigerians that have come and cheated/stolen (one taxi driver said there didn't use to be armed robbery in Ghana until Nigerians came and started it) we're not all in the country for that purpose.

    But unfortunately the few bad apples have given all of us a bad name :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fulani-Nigerian: You're a rare jewel indeed.
    Fulani, Christian, British... what are the mathematical odds for that combination! Triple wow..Oh and you write beautifully well.
    i'll be following this blog. Please keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Anonymous! I think the odds are a billion to one ;)

    Stay tuned for part two of my Ghanaian adventure...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ghana is the only country in west africa where u'll meet thousands of people claiming to be Nigerian but cannot speak any single Nigerian language. I experienced that in Kumasi 2010. There's a national obsession to make Ghana look good at all cost and make Nigeria look bad at even higher costs. lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, I am kind of late to comment on this post. Well done on your trip to Ghana. I am a Ghanaian who speaks Hausa. For your information, Hausa's in Ghana are considered as native Ghanaians than other ethnic groups from Nigeria who migrated to Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  21. True alot of ghanians are 3th 4th generation Nigerians/Togolese/Burikinabe/Liberians/Malians and a lot of them are partialy mixed with a ghanian/ ethnicty as wel and dont realy speak (spcf. Nigerian languages. And then you have the new immigrants from Nigeria who live in Ghana and already produces thousands second generation Naija Ghanians ( Hausa-Fulanis,Igbos, Yorubas, igala,Efik etc.) as we call ourselves. Even though my parent where born in Delta State Nigeria and lived in ghana for ages. I was born in Kofurdia and consinder by self just as a Ghanian of Igbo background. Also alot fulunis and some tuaregs in Ghana. I would say alot of Nigerians will be suprised about the of Ghanians that are in true of Nigerian decent but dont realy highlited because of they and there parent where born here and consinder ourselves as Ghanians with hausa, yoruba etc background

    ReplyDelete