6 January 2014

No Validations from Fulanis Required


When I first started this blog, I posted one of my blog posts on Nairaland, a popular website where Nigerians everywhere come together to discuss both serious and fun subjects relating to their country.
It was on that site that I enjoyed the acerbic Nigerian humour and saw that no matter where they were in the world, family, marriage, money, religion, patriotism, education and tribe remained important for Nigerians. Nairaland was my online entry into Nigeria before I physically arrived, and I landed at Abuja’s Nnamdi Azikiwe airport equipped with knowledge about my countrymen.

I learnt a lot from the Nigerians on that site, but one interaction with a Fulani man in particular influenced my view about Fulanis and myself.
I’d posted a link to my blog and in response, the Fulani man proceeded to dismantle all I held sacred about my Fulaniness, calling me a fake, a fraud and a fool and regarding my religion as the greatest and most distasteful barrier towards my acceptance into Fulani-land. He stated that a Yoruba Muslim was more of a kin to him than me, a Fulani Christian, and other unpleasant things. What he said and what I felt gave birth to the post ‘You are a Fake Fulani.’

I started this blog to provide a Fulani voice in the plethora of Southern Nigerian voices online, and part of me also wanted to call attention to Fulanis out there and say: “Hey! Here I am! See, I’m just like you! Kind of anyway. So, what’s up? Let’s hang out.” I wasn’t in need of affirmation but I wanted to be welcomed, as if from a long journey away, and for them to say “Hey, sister! Welcome. Sit down, have some Fura da Nono. You look so much like our cousin Halima...” and other forms of easy acceptance. For them to say “We know you’re not quite ‘it’ but it’s OK. Fulanis of all kinds are welcome here.”
But that was before the Expert Fulani’s comments on Nairaland. It hurt. And it also made me stop requiring acceptance. I became Fulani all by myself: a rare, unique offshoot not seeking reintegration but just flourishing where I am.

Other Fulanis were happy that I was out there blogging, and I’ve since received a ton of kind words, with many Fulanis from around Africa happy to converse with kin online, a place where Fulanis rarely entered (or if they did, they were male or communicated in French or Arabic).
I’ve become pen-pals with some and even met a couple off-line. They’ve added immensely to my knowledge of myself and Fulanis (thank you all so much). Some have tried to convert me too, and my reticence in broaching the subject of religion with Fulani Muslims remains. I always feel like they feel I’ve done something terrible in becoming a Christian, and the issue is often so raw and immense and bigger than me that I avoid it altogether. Mostly Fulanis I meet online understand that I don’t need their approval, I’m just happy for their presence and acknowledgment and knowledge.
The funny thing is that my Fulani identity was rarely brought to the fore prior to my blogging. In England, being Black, being female, being a Christian, being British, being a journalist, being from South London and being Nigerian were all far more active parts of my being than being Fulani. That aspect of my identity was relegated to the background and only emerged as an act of will on my part, when I realised that I came from a little-known (in the West at least) yet highly admired people that were known as much for their beauty as their remoteness.
The exoticism of it all, and the pride in being able to claim as mine this almost mythical tribe of nomads – who settled in various African countries and had a distinct look that harkened to a history of migration from outside sub-Saharan Africa – was fascinatingly wonderful. Now I understood why I didn’t look like or behave like the usual Nigerians and why I took to Britishness better than others: there are aspects of Fulani culture, like the reserve and the modesty, that compliment British middle-class culture.

My family spoke little of our heritage. My father was no longer alive and his side of the family was largely unknown to me, and my mother was immersed in her Britishness and wasn’t given to talk of ‘the old country’ except to criticise it. My siblings didn’t care and we didn’t live among other Fulanis, so I got information about Fulaniness from an aunt and her husband, and at the time I was also dating a Nigerian with a Fulani mother so I got to know about various aspects of my culture. But there were also traces of my culture that was inherently known to me, I don’t exactly know how, and the more I read and heard the more I knew that I knew it. Like hearing the whispers of past generations or imbibing the instincts and culture that swirled around you invisibly, or receiving knowledge passed down through your blood and DNA.
I always knew I was Fulani, but I didn’t care until months before I started this blog.  
So to have someone shatter this new mirror I was now looking at myself through was not nice, but because being knowingly Fulani was a recent addition to my already robust identity, it wasn’t so bad. I’m pretty solid in my internal sense of self to not need external validation.

So I got over it, and over the years of blogging my Fulani identity evolved: at first it was a thirst for knowledge, then I married a man also of Fulani heritage who opened my eyes even more to Fulaniness so that it became a familiar enough reality to put to one side, like a new present at Christmas you receive and explore with a hot desire that cools by Boxing Day.
Then a recent comment on the ‘You’re a Fake Fulani’ post by Raji Bello brought back memories of the earlier rejection, only this time my reaction was anger, not hurt. He  said that I was of Fulani origin but I was not Fulani, and my claims to being Fulani were weak. I was like, wait, do you presume to think that I need your permission to be who I am? Later I realised that he didn’t mean any harm, and the truth was that ‘authentic’ Fulanis will always raise their eyebrows and say ‘Hmmmm’ when they hear my story.

Then a follow-up comment on the same post by Aliyu Wali, which spoke about the difference between how I saw myself and how Fulanis see me, brought it all home: I will never be Fulani in the full sense of the word.
Now on the one hand it’s sad, but on the other hand, it doesn’t matter at all. Mostly because such intense discussions of my Fulani identity only occur online; I haven’t surrounded myself with full-blooded Fulanis in the real world (besides, rejection in person would be harder to take), and everybody else in Nigeria sees my Britishness more than anything else. But even if I got their acceptance, what then? It wouldn’t make me taller or wealthier.

I’m loved by God and wonderful people, that’s what matters. I’m just happy to have people reading and learning and enjoying my blog and engaging with me, and I’m even happier to discuss these things with other Fulanis, because I’d never heard their opinions on anything before.

So today, one part of my Fulaniness is an unquenchable glow within, and the other part is fragments I’ve gathered and stuck together. It’s incomplete and crooked and fragile and not as whole as other people’s, but I cherish it and I wear it on my lapel along with the other badges of my identity. The Fulani badge is one of the smallest but often shines the brightest, and sometimes I even forget it’s there, hidden amongst the more robust identities. But when I remember, I touch it and smile.

14 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I have enjoyed and read your blog silently for a while now. Being a Christian from the north (a minority tribe - Bura) and living in the U.S. amongst Nigerians from the West and East, I can definitely commiserate with the 'exotic' perception other Nigerians may have of us. I wanted to feed into a point you brought up which adds to the greater point of globalization. I think what a lot of Nigerians from the North (especially those who still live there and like your dear commenters above who accused you of being a "Fake Fulani") fail to realize is that the definition of being of a certain tribe is expanding and changing. More and more children of future Fulanis (for example) are going to be born and raised abroad and are going to come visit Nigeria and maybe even move back some day... and that doesn't take a shred of part of their ethnic identity away. They will always be genetically Fulani, will probably always identify as Fulani, and if raised with parents that embody the culture, will always be culturally Fulani. So nobody has the right to limit the identity of an individual because they didn't grow up in their land of origin or because they don't speak their language... Ethnic identity is always a part of you no matter how global of a person one becomes. Your dear commenters are limited in scope and vision on just how fast the world is changing and will continue to change. I'm glad you overcame his small views :) Keep writing!
    P.S., there are many Fulanis in my village of origin, that my dad grew up speaking Fulani in addition to Bura and Hausa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Culture is fluid, and is even more so now thanks to globalisation and will be so in the future. There's no one version of any culture.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I remember well the post on nairaland you are talking about. I am an avid visitor of the site but I rarely comment on posts. That site and the internet in general have some very unsensitive posters. I must confesse, myself before this blog, I had never heard of a fulani christian. Being fulani myself, though not from nigeria, I thought muslim and fulani are synonyme words. They could not be seperated. But like the previous poster said with globlization there will be many fulanis like you whether I and that commentator like or not. My nephew is half fula and half lebanese. He speaks fulani and french but not arabic. If he chooses to identify as fula no one can take that away from him. I said it before I wish I could run a fulani blog, but I have neither the time nor the writing talent. You abviously, possess both. I am thankful that when I read about fulani it will be from one of our own. So keep writing, I will read even if I may not comment all the time. Sadima ko tolli bandirawo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you remember the Nairaland post? Cool! You've been following me on multiple platforms, I'm pleased :)

      Your nephew and I are examples of different forms of Fulani identity. He might even choose to identify as a French man...

      Thanks Anonymous.

      Delete
  3. Yup I do. You posted a link to your blog that's how I found this place. I did not comment on that particular topic but I read all the comments. Like I said before I really don't like posting on the net. I just like reading and moving on. By the way with my little interaction with nigerian fulanis online I doubt I will fit within them I found them to be very conservative. I don't know why. It may have to do with me being from francophone Africa. As for my nephew, I can see that too both of his parents can't speak each other language so they communicate in french. But my sister does send him to my parents'home one weekend a month so he understand fula well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed my interaction with Francophone Fulanis; many were simply eager to talk and connect and swap information (and practice their English with me lol) Nigerian Fulanis are more conservative, unless you're part of their circle.

      Thanks for breaking your habit and posting on here :)

      Delete
  4. The comment I made under the article “You are a Fake Fulani” is purely from a cultural angle and not a religious one and I made that clear. I personally have no interest in anyone’s faith since it won’t add to or substract anything from my life. Regarding Fulani Christians, we had a prominent Fulani-Christian family in Yola since the 1930s, so it is nothing new. I have also met Fulani Christians in the university. My point was purely cultural and I said that the more one Westernises, the more they would drift away from their Fulaniness which is also true with other African tribes but more true with the Fulani because there is a code of behaviour that is regarded as an inherent part of being a Fulani. This code of behaviour becomes difficult to uphold the more one embraces Western culture like most middle-class African Christians tend to do. Islam might have also modified Fulani culture but definitely not to a very huge extent. Yes, you certainly don’t need anyone’s validation and some of us who have commented were not trying to provide you with one. What attracted those comments was because you made fairly robust claims about an ethnic group and culture which to you may be exotic and distant but to some of us is our every day living. We grew up in it and have been living it ever since. When someone who has been very detached from the culture makes some bold claims and even tries to redefine what the culture is or show what it ought to be, it is bound to attract comments and disagreement. What I said about you being of Fulani origin but not a Fulani is not meant to hurt you at all but merely a statement of fact. From what I’ve gathered in your articles, your situation is comparable to those of Barack Obama, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Madeleine Albright. Although like you said, people reserve the right to self-identify but would anyone call Obama a Luo (his father’s tribe in Kenya) or Schwarzenegger an Austrian or Albright a Czech? I’m sure most people would only say that Obama is of Luo origin, Schwarzenegger of Austrian origin and Albright of Czech origin. It shouldn’t cause any offence. You admitted your detachment from your roots so candidly by yourself in your article on Adamawa state which by the way, happens to be my home state too. It is clear from your piece on Adamawa that a gap in understanding and perceptions between us is inevitable. The same place that you said you have never visited and is only a distant part of your identity happens to be the place where I lived my childhood and went to primary and secondary schools. It is also the place where I have a very large extended family and an uncountable number of friends. If you were as immersed in the culture as I am, you would see things a bit differently too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raji, I think I understand where your comments come from and what you were trying to point out. You were trying to clarify what being Fulani is from an insider's point of view, to augment my description of it from an outsider's angle. That's fine.

      My outsider's view isn't necessarily wrong, it's just different. I never tried to redefine Fulani culture at all, just present it from my perspective.

      As for Obama, there are countless Luo people and Kenyans in general, who are very proud to call him one of theirs and commemorate him every chance they get.

      Maybe I'm just not famous enough to have Fulanis clamouring to be associated with me :)

      Delete
  5. You are an extremely talented and prolific writer, I'm in awe right now, your experience, your world, everything about this blog is such a delight to read....I stumbled upon(i.e google) your blog because I wanted to learn more about the hausa/fulani, and I couldn't have found a better source of knowledge. Thank you for starting this blog, I will be anxious to read every post! Please consider adding a donate option to the blog, I know it takes time and hard work to compose quality writing. Best Regards!

    ~Chester/Ugochukwu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, how lovely of you to say Chester. It's always nice to read complimentary comments. Keep reading and I'll keep posting :)

      And if you really want to donate, email me: sweetweet121@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. "...who settled in various African countries and had a distinct look that harkened to a history of migration from outside sub-Saharan Africa – was fascinatingly wonderful."

    I like your blog, but you make it sound like been originally from sub-Saharan Africa originally is intrinsically not wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point Uchenna, but even if you were Swedish and you found out your ancestors actually migrated from Africa or India or China it would be wonderfully exotic; it's the excitement of an unexplored 'foreign' component to your history.

      Delete
  7. I came across this by accident. You are no Fulani. You are of Fulani descent no doubt. End of. You don't speak their language, you don't practice any of their customs. You are a lost English girl my dear. You even gave a detailed narrative of your detachment from the Fulani culture in your introduction. You are not Fulani and you can't be. In fact you are only a Nigerian on paper. The bottom line is you can call yourself anything you like but it is another thing for people to regard you to be so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes Anonymous, I addressed all this in this post.

      But I must insist on refuting the highly erroneous opinion that I am lost. I know the way home quite alright my dear.

      Delete