28 May 2012

My Fulani Experience In Nigeria So Far...

In England, people usually got my ethnicity wrong, were surprised when I told them the truth and I had to tell the story of my background so many times. But in Nigeria...it’s the exact same story!

The only difference is that here people sometimes guess I am Fulani thanks to their familiarity with my people and my resemblance to my kin. But the wonder still persist. Here are the top four questions I get asked the most, in no particular order:

“Are you Nigerian?”
“Which state are you from?”
“Is that a Fulani name?” (It’s not)
"Do you speak Fulfude?" (Sadly, I don't)

So even in my own country, I remain a source of fascination regarding my origin. I thought I’d fit right in, no questions needed to be asked, my membership to my tribe would be obvious and my sense of belonging would be complete. Nope.

But a good thing is that, like I said, people are obviously more familiar with Fulanis in Nigeria than in England. Many Southerners, upon finding out which town/village I come from, tell me stories of their experiences with the town either through doing their NYSC Youth Service there or through business, and tell me how nice the place is. I then tell them I've never been there but would love to go. I've also met non-Fulanis from my state which was interesting.

People also have their own stereotypes and notions of us. I’ve been told by various people that Fulanis are:

1. Very intelligent, especially when educated
2. Never forgive
3. Calm, gentle and polite
4. Shy
5. Are loyal friends
6. Are disliked by some Southerners for their violence
7. Are beautiful and graceful
8. Are a mystery

I’ve met many more Fulanis in the few months I’ve been in Abuja than I did in all my life in the UK, and they fall into three categories:

Older Rich Fulanis: Who are often very nice, informative and interested in my upbringing and background, although I do feel odd and almost apologetic about my appearance when I'm with them, in that they're used to Fulani women covered up from head to toe, and here I am in a suit/jeans/dress.

Young Fulani Ladies and Gentlemen: I've met them at parties, weddings and through friends. The wealthy Muslims are very nice, but stick together and I don't really fit in there with them. The few Christians I've met (who are often bi-ethnic: one parent Fulani and the other from another tribe) are more open, but I normally hang out with Northern, Hausa speaking Christians from a variety of tribes I'd never heard of before coming to Abuja. 

Poor Fulanis: Usually herding cattle numbering from 10 cows to 200. Sometimes the cattle would walk leisurely across the road and delay cars. I see them as I drive past and I've noticed that 80% of the time, the herders are kids no more than 16 years old, both male and female. (Below are pictures of some Fulanis living near my area, taken by a photography colleague)



A Family of Fulani women and children


 A Fulani-designed Calabash


 
 A little boy outside his hut


I once saw a little Fulani girl-herder, no more than 5 years old. She had an ashy face, over-sized slippers on her tiny feet and her clothes hung off her. She was confidently beating the cow closest to her with a long stick so it would move faster. I stared at her from the car window and she looked back at me with both the innocence of a child and the confidence of a skilled herder.

I kick myself every time I think about her for not taking a picture, but then again, somehow I'm glad I didn't because that would be rude, an invasion of her privacy. I would feel like a voyeuristic Westerner, there to gawp at and flash a camera at the poor child as she went about her business, so that she would become a commodity for others to stare at and pity. But for economics and the grace of God, that little girl could have been me.

I've also seen Fulani teenage girls; long, slender and graceful, carrying a tray of some local food or other on their heads for sale. I've also seen the men going about their business. I often make the mistake of confusing Kanuri people for Fulanis because they look very similar in appearance.


Kanuri Women

I also once saw a strange sight: two tall, slender Fulani men wearing tight, colourful, too-short trousers, colourful tops and what seemed like make-up on their faces. Their hair was long and plaited and they stood at the side of the road, totally oblivious and unself-conscious about their vibrant appearance. I was shocked! I was then told that that's how some young Fulani men dress. Hmmm....

I've never wished I spoke Fulfude more than I do now I'm in Abuja. Because here Hausa is no longer a novelty as literally everybody in Abuja speaks it, even the Yorubas and Ibos. They speak it better than me  because it's the lingua-franca here, just like Yoruba is the lingua-franca in Lagos. Of course the non-native Hausas speak it with a heavy accent, but they're fluent nonetheless. So to speak Fulfude would not only be a source of pride, but give me an edge over the Hausa speakers. 

I blame my parents. My paternal grandmother only spoke Fulfude, not even Hausa, but we didn't visit her enough and she's long gone, and my parents' generation mostly speak Hausa.

So here I am, a non-Fulfude speaking Fulani who's never been to her town or village. I must be the least Fulani Fulani in the history of Fulanidom.

I recently heard a great speech from a Nigerian elder statesman Alhaji Maitama Sule, who is a former politician revered for his inspirational oratory, eloquence and wisdom. He encouraged Nigerian politicians to become more like the Fulani herdsman, imploring them to adopt many of the characteristics of the herder. He then explained how each herder knew each of their cows by name, and when each cow is called by its name, it separates itself from the others and dutifully walks towards the herder. The cows also understand and obey instructions in Fulfude.

The herdsman sleeps out in the open with the cows, eats when they eat and rests when they rest, and if a cow is in danger, he risks his life to ensure their safety. His purpose in life is to ensure his cattle's well-being and because he would lay down his life for them, they follow him wherever he goes because they trust him and know he has their best interests at heart.

Alhaji Sule also said that in the holy books, all the great leaders and prophets were herdsmen.

The strength of the bond between the herder and his cattle was eye-opening for me, and I gained a higher level of respect for him. The cows are not just their livelihood and symbol of wealth, but also their responsibility and almost like their children.

Alhaji Sule's desire for Nigerian politicians to emulate the lowly Fulani herdsman as the epitome of servant-leadership was a vivid and compelling argument.

I was proud.

19 comments:

  1. Okey, it seems you spend most of your youth age in England, but i still believe you still fall on the youth age (18-30) which means you still have a shot to learn and speak fulfulde, but first you need to know where your state, local government so you can learn the fulfulde they speak in that area. why? because most of the fulbe differs and so they might not understand you. but one still remains the best.
    the fulfulde from yola town, Adamawa state.
    by the way leadership in Nigeria is the other way round unlike what our Elder stateman said "The herdsmen sleep out in the open with the cows, eat when they eat and rest when they rest, and if a cow is in danger, he risks his life to ensure their safety. His purpose in life is to ensure his cattle's well-being and because he would lay down his life for them, they follow him wherever he goes because they trust him and know he's always there for them" so i again employ you to either go down to pick up the roots or cut it by the trunk, coz both are possible.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanu Hajia,

    What an amusing, interesting post. The Fulani herdsman as you've described him almost sounds like Jesus Christ the Good Shepherd!

    Ever thought about learning Fulani ? The Nigerian Educational Research Development Council (NERDC) produces an educational primer on nine Nigerian languages, including Fulani(Fulfulde). I believe they are headquartered in Sherda, Abuja.

    The exact title is as follows: "A Vocabulary of Primary Science and Mathematics in Nine Nigerian Languages: Fulfulde, Izon, Yoruba"

    It was published in 3 volumes, with each volume dealing with 3 of the languages.


    Here's a link to a recent NERDC story: http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/47867-senate-tasks-research-council-on-revenue-generation.html

    Hope that helps somewhat, I can't seem to find more useful stuuf on NERDC.

    Nagode
    Mallam Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bekaji and Anonymous for your help re my Fulfude. I'll check it out. It'll be a challenge to embark on learning it, but it's doable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barka dai.

    This is an excellent blog and I hope you continue to post.

    I understand what you mean about 'not fitting in' with Hausa/Fulani- muslims. They are very conservative espicially in the North-West (kano, katsina, sokoto etc). More diffcult to fit in being a female as well lol. Have you been connected to Hausa speaking people that have lived in UK?

    Regarding not speaking Fulani, I dont think you should be too sad about it as you did not grow up in an enviroment that spoke the language. Fulani is hard to learn as well few TV shows, few movies, and the lanaguge is not consistent like Hausa. Furthermore in the North-West (including Kaduna) majority of Fulani people do not speak Fula anymore, However in the North-East they do.

    Anyway I would like to see a blog on wether you prefer the UK to nigeria now that you have spent a few months :)

    Godiya nake.

    Emir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emir, you've put my mind at ease :)

      Delete
  5. Your style is very unique compared to other people I have read stuff from.
    Many thanks for posting when you have the
    opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this page.
    Stop by my site ... How To Be On TV

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Fulani Nigerian,Hausa isn't d lingua franca here in Abuja which is a cosmopolitan city made up of nigerians from different tribes.Most people here don't undstand hausa,nuh to tok of speaking it.Ppl who live here Kim from lagos,portharcourt,Edo,Uyo just to name a few cities in Nigeria n English is d most popular language spoken here.Wonder where u got ur erroneous assumptions from,didyu do any research?Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the vast majority of the people I've met in Abuja, who hail from all parts of Nigeria, from my colleagues to shop assistants etc all speak Hausa. So...based on my experience most people speak Hausa.

      Delete
  7. My goodness I love your blog already!! Thanks for enlightening me on Fulani types.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a hausa fulani guy who lives in london too with a similar take on things I guess, but the only thing I find disparaging is how you categorised the last group as 'poor fula'. That's an improper impression.. The fact that they chose to continue the sedimentary herding lifestyle doesn't make them poor, illiterate in the western sense perhaps, but rich in culture, relationships & in a simple way that becoming 'Fulanin gari' or 'town Fula' has made us lose, food for thought...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for making this point Ibrahim, you're right. I guess I meant poor economically speaking, but I don't mean this to demean or disparage them.

    Food for thought indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Abeg if that *food for thought* is ready, I'll love to take a bite plz.
    Lol.
    Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sister,
    I came accross ur blog yesterday. I read some of ur posts; quite interesting. The language issue applies to almost all african languages ie nowadays most kids do not know their "mother tongue" (more kids from multicultural parents; they speak only English, French, Portuguese or Spanish just to name few of the imported onyibo languages. I think the fault is the parents, most of them spoke their mother tongue why wouldn't they teach it to their children? It has been proven that during their childhood kids can acquire up to 7 languages. You find cases where kids need an interpreter when they have to speak to their gran-parents!!! Now some parents are "waking up" sending their kids to attend special classes to learn their mother tongue. The other issue is practising the language. Then from ane generation to another there are some losses ie u have less lexicon, voabulary etc than ur parents. Something needs to be done by ourselves & now so that our african languages do not appear one day under "extinct" language list of UNESCO. Have a nice week end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments anonymous. I will definitely make sure to teach my children at least two other languages, because you never regret knowing how to express yourself in more than one tongue.

      Needing an interpreter to speak to grandparents is a sad development of modernity and our increasingly 'international' lives.

      I hope you enjoy the rest of the blog, and there's more coming soon :)

      Delete
  12. Just found your blog, and I couldn't resist commenting on your post about stereotypes.

    As an Igbo born and bred in England, the only thing I ever knew about the Fulani was that they were 'the beautiful people' - that is literally how my mother would describe you. Even in Nigeria, when we asked about the cattle herders we saw on the road, she would say "oh, they are the graceful people"!

    And I hear you about not knowing a home language. My parents never taught me Igbo properly, so I'm currently doing a couple of self taught online classes. It's really sad as I know that on some level there are so many nuances that I will never get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree IaBiscuitnapper, most people only know Fulani people from afar.

      But I'm happy that I at least know how to speak Hausa fairly well. Being mono-lingual is so limiting! :)

      Delete
  13. What an amusing, interesting post. The Fulani herdsman as you've described him almost sounds like Jesus Christ the Good Shepherd. www.fuoye.edu.ng to see what we offer.

    ReplyDelete