2 May 2012

My Travels Across Nigeria

So, I've ventured outside Abuja to three other states. Below is my impression of each:

JOS
My favourite place so far. The four-hour journey there was full of potholes on the road, vistas of greenery, small rickety houses and tables selling oranges etc on the much of the road sides. We'll reach certain intersections and be greeted by a cackle of snack sellers, mostly kids selling water, plantain chips, sesame-seed cakes and roasted corn. There were also lots of beautiful stretches of trees, farms,valleys and mountains. Jos gets its famous cold weather because of its highlands location and yep, it really was as cold as I was told. Coming from London, everyone expected me to acclimatise easily to the drop in temperature, but funnily enough I was the only one needing to wear a hooded sweatshirt and was sneezing and blowing my nose throughout!

I went to Jos for Easter and hung out with friends, friends of friends and family and ate lots of chicken! A friend owned a cake shop which I loved, and even felt a bit of nostalgia from reading a cake magazine from the UK that the shop subscribed to. I also visited a couple of bakeries and was happy to note that things are so much cheaper in Jos, in fact,any where outside the FCT (Abuja) prices are lower.

On the whole Jos is calmer and more small-towney than Abuja, the people are friendlier and the cool air cools tempers giving a more genial atmosphere. It is also more rocky, and at one point we drove up a narrow, rocky road that felt like mountain-climbing on four wheels.

Some of the mountains that framed our journey to Jos

Unfortunately Jos is also known for a lot of bomb attacks by the Islamic sect Boko Haram. And although 'Josians' didn't obsess about this and went about their daily business normally, you could tell something was up because of the police check-points dotted about the place, where uniformed, armoured men carrying Kalashnikovs (!) would stand behind an erected barrier in the middle of the road so you're obliged to stop your car. You'll then have to put on your car light if it's night-time, and they'll then walk over and greet you calmly, scrutinise you and the other passengers in the car and ask to check your boot. Sometimes they'll also ask for 'a little something' which sometimes we didn't mind giving out, as they spend the whole day in the sun wearing heavy armour and were usually quite jokey with drivers, unless you 'look suspicious' of course, in which case they'd ask you to pull over to the side of the road.

Another reminder that this beautiful state is not altogether peaceful was the fact that some friends and I watched an Arsenal football match in a large bar with huge screens when I was there, which was great fun. Then later I heard that a similar establishment in Jos was bombed a few days ago as football fans exited after watching a match. That could have been us!

Many churches in Jos have also been bombed, especially at special Christian occasions like Christmas, so I was a little nervous when I went to a church in Jos on Easter Sunday. But the security was high and although inconvenient, we appreciated it: we couldn't drive right up to the church but had to park a fair distance away,  were searched on our way in and women were encouraged to leave large handbags at home. There were also boulders on the road leading up to the church. But the church building was beautiful, as was the service, and there were at least six Caucasian faces dotted around (which is a lot in one place in Nigeria) wearing native Ankara. I guess the cool weather really does attract more Westerners.

I went to Jos a second time for a wedding in a Catholic church, and the reception was held outdoors amongst tall trees at the famous Wild Life Park, which once housed lions, elephants etc (apparently many of these wild animals are native in Nigeria,who knew?) but is now an events centre:

Outdoor wedding reception in Jos


KADUNA
I returned to the state I had heard so much about and seen so many pictures of, and I foolishly thought I would recognise some things and maybe get a sense of deja vu or familiar feeling, but nope. Nothing. Although we were only there for one day and one night for a wedding and I didn't get a chance to explore the state properly.

I noticed the billboards here where mostly in Hausa, or one side had the English version and the reverse the Hausa translation of the ad. Kaduna also had a small-town, less developed look, and being the lover of local foods, made sure I had some Kose and Doya:

Kose (Fried bean cakes) da Doya (and Fried Yam) da Yaji (and Pepper) bought from an outdoor seller frying on a large Wok placed on stones and firewood

I also hung out with friends in a nice outdoor garden and also noticed that compared Abuja, the electricity in Jos and Kaduna was less frequent, and I was told that three nights would go by without any electricity. Gosh!

Nevertheless, I must say KD, as the town is popularly called, was a little disappointing. Maybe because I had such high hopes of the place. It was like any other Nigerian town and fades away in my memory compared with other places I visited in Nigeria. I thought the reverse would be true. I hope when I return I can experience it better.


MINNA
I was in Minna for a few days for a wedding and enjoyed it. It was on my way there that I saw my first ever hut in Africa! Yep, after decades of being African, I finally saw a thatched-roofed, mud walled hut! A few lined the road on our journey, along with plenty of farmland and greenery and one huge mountain, I can't remember it's name.

It was also in Minna that I drank my first ‘Pure Water,’ which are small plastic sachets filled with water that is popular amongst many in Nigeria, as they cost around N5- N10 each, whereas Bottled water cost around N100 each.

Pure Water

Minna also had many checkpoints manned by armed uniformed police/army/guards dotted around, and roads leading up to police stations were totally closed-off due to recent attacks on police stations.  

Another thing I noticed about Minna, as was the case with Jos and Kaduna, is that looks can be deceiving: We'll drive up a bumpy, dilapidated dirt-road right up to a standard iron gate, but then the gates would open and Voila! a well-kept drive-way, beautiful kept lawn and large elegant house would appear, and inside the house would be equally beautiful. So many un-tarmacked roads led up to expensively built homes. 

Minna is probably less developed than any other state I’ve been in, but I enjoyed great hospitality and did a unique hairstyle there called 'Abuja Braids,' which was not only pretty but practical too in that it completely covered my natural hair, otherwise my hair would look fuzzy and rough after three days as my natural curls burst through and start poking through the extensions.

I also wore 'Anko' (Hausa word for aso-ebi) for the first time at a Northern wedding, which is where all the close friends and family of the bride and groom wear matching clothing material. The dress I had made was a beautiful fishtail design, but I didn't wear the gele/scarf provided.

I hope to one day be brave enough to visit Lagos. I was invited by a good British friend of mine who went there for a wedding (weddings seem to be the reasons for much travel. That and funerals. I hope to have many more of the former and none of the latter!) but unfortunately couldn't make it.

Here's to more travels across Nigeria!

8 comments:

  1. Sanu Hajia,

    Very good read. I have never been to Kaduna and always thought it was a very big city, especially as it was the capital of the old Northern Region. I'm also quite surprised by your write-up on the Kaduna, as I have read about the state governor's carrying out ambitious modernising and development programmes on the city.

    As per the church services, were they conducted in Hausa ? I'm just wondering how you feel about Hausa language church services, Hausa language hymns, bibles etc wether or not you would find them strange or familiar. Also, have you started flowing again conversationally in Hausa ? What about writing ?

    Pardon my inquisitiveness, this blog of yours is like a journey, parts of which I can relate to myself. I am also getting a different perspective on Northern Nigeria and a personal insight into the heart of the Hausa-speaking world...:-)

    All the best and keep blogging.

    Nagode

    Mallam anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mallam anonymous I'm sure Kaduna is very diverse and blooming, just that the parts I saw in my short visit were nothing compared to Abuja in terms of development.

    The church I went to was English-speaking, but I'm aware of Hausa speaking churches, but I don't think I'll get much from such a service; my Hausa has vastly improved since I've been here, but it's still shaky. There's not much need to write it though, except when showing off my Hausa to friends on facebook lol.

    I did hear the Lord's Prayer in Hausa though, which was fascinating, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hajia, hmm that's interesting!

    I love your Abuja braids by the way. I'm sure you must be beating off the assorted Abubakars, Emekas and Olukolas with sticks!!! Don't blame them, they're prolly all bessotted with those Buja Braids of yours, yes, You look elegantly gorgeous!

    Did you get to check out the libraries in Abuja yet ?

    Cheers

    Mallam Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loool! I've since taken out the braids, but I did receive lots of compliments :)

    I haven't checked out the libraries yet, but when I do I'll blog about it! Thanks again for sending the links.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, nice blog.
    I can only imagine how your experience has been, after 20 years in the UK, couldn't possibly be easy settling back in.
    BTW, Anko isn't hausa for asho-ebi, it's the Nigerianized form of "and co", I'm not sure where it originated, but I think its from Yorubaland. #justsaying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks for the heads up on that.

      Delete
  6. I know this isn't a beauty blog but you have to shed some light on what you use on your skin and what northern women use to beautify themselves in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't use anything special at all. I have one body cream I've used since I was a young teen and very little of the many lotions and potions most ladies use. It's just natural I guess. As for Northern women, it's probably just natural as well, based on genes and diet.

      Delete