5 October 2017

I Know it Sounds Crazy, But I Miss Nigeria...

Regular readers of my blog will know by now that I'm not afraid to change my mind. I can stand 100% behind a position today, then change my mind later based on new facts, evidence or change of feelings. (Witness my 'I love her/I love her not/I love her again re: author Chimamanda Adichie) Heck, even my faith in God wavers sometimes. It might be a character flaw, or it might be a sign of intellectual honesty and an unbiased open-mindedness. I'll go with option two.

Whatever it is, the fact is that contrary to my kinda negative portrayal of Nigeria in a previous post and my rush to leave it a few months ago, I now miss it. I miss Nigeria. I wish I didn't though. It would be so much easier to turn my back on it, what with its Boko Haram and Ebola and a plethora of misfortunes and calamities and dangers and problems facing the country every day, plus the impending elections in 2015 that many predict will cause even more bloody unrest.

 Good ole' Nigeria: My embattled country

But I lay down at night and wish I was back in Abuja.

There are two major factors that draw me back to Nigeria, one of which is my profession. Yes folks, being back in England has humbled me career-wise. Where in Nigeria I was top of the food chain thanks to my impressive British education, training and experience; impressive portfolio of previous work, impeccable British accent and the confidence that comes with knowing your country values you and wants you, which shines through and makes you even more attractive to prospective employers and clients; in England I'm having to start from the bottom again, not that I was ever even at the top to begin with.

My almost three years abroad has knocked my professional trajectory back down a few pegs, but more than that is my own perception of self. I feel less wanted here. My colour, my experience, my time spent abroad in an unsavoury country, all of that has merged together to give me an inferiority complex, which I presume is written all over my face as I sit in waiting rooms waiting to be interviewed. The chip on my shoulder must be so big right now. Sometimes I even talk myself out of a job before applying: "Nah, The Guardian wouldn't want me, I didn't go to Oxbridge and I'm the wrong kind of Black."

 Bad News: They didn't want me

Actually, regarding The Guardian newspaper, despite its credentials as a liberal, left-wing publication and champion of minorities, I went to its offices in London for a job training/interview stint years ago and was blown away by how male-white-middle-class the whole office was. There were maybe two white women, no brown or Black faces and everyone there were of a certain 'type,' the type that go to Starbucks and order Fairtrade organic lattes, wear distressed jeans, spent a year in Africa working for a charity, are vegetarians, want to live in Brixton but send their children to private school and buy modern art. I felt so out of place there (I'm not a vegetarian and Africa to me is a reality, not a facilitator of my yearnings to be a good person) and it must have affected my performance because I didn't get the job.

I don't wish to play the race card, in fact I hate it when people play the race card, but I'm afraid that after returning from Nigeria - where I felt so good about being me; so wanted, celebrated even, for being me; where I rubbed shoulders with the movers and shakers of society and met and worked with important people, where all that I am was cradled and nurtured and upheld as wonderful (I could also spell better and type faster than most people out there too, I felt like a superhero) - the British job market has being a slight shock to the system. I started to question my abilities. Maybe I'm not as good as I thought. Or maybe I am and they just refuse to see it and give me a chance because I am Black.

Race relations in the UK is miles better than what it is in other non-African countries of course, and there are vast swathes of England where your colour doesn't affect you negatively, and I can honestly say that apart from two instances when I was in my late teens where I'd visited a majority-white part of Surrey and some silly young men shouted racial slurs at me, one from a high rise building and the other from a moving car (I still think maybe I heard them wrong), I have never faced any overt racism in England in my life.

Sure there are instances when I felt I should have positively gotten that job because I was so right for it, and when I didn't I was convinced it's cos I was Black and didn't pass the 'Can I hang out comfortably with her down the pub after work' test by my would-be employers. But on the whole, I never thought being Black held me back until I finished a Masters degree and still couldn't get a nice journalism job (the kind that came with a business card). Then I went to Nigeria and finally tasted success, then returned to England again and saw that such success is hardly enjoyed by people that look like me, and the Blacks that are successful here are of a certain type too. Damn, I wish I'd gone to Oxford. I had the grades for it, but I didn't pursue it because I thought I'd feel out of place there. It's my biggest regret in life.

My children MUST go to Oxford or Cambridge. It's like the only thing that can guarantee your success if you're Black in the UK.

So I long for Nigeria because I feel ignored and not up to par in England, and having to go from Editor to Office Administrator has been oh so depressing. I feel like shouting out: "Don't you know who I am? I used to chair weekly Editorial meetings you know! I have a Masters' Degree for Christ's sake!"

I work in central London surrounded by huge beautiful office buildings made of glass, and I envy the immaculately dressed ladies in their heels and skirt suits that call such buildings 'My Office,' whilst I wear flats and my colleagues will look at me in wonder if I dressed in a suit. I also noticed that the Black people I see in this part of town are almost always shabbily dressed in jeans and trainers; the Black/minority ethnic service class that serve the white business class.

My Future London office: Amen

Sure I can work my way to the top, but how long will that take? And can I ever achieve the career highs in London that I enjoyed in Abuja? Will a qualified Black woman under 30 ever be the sub-editor of a British national newspaper? I doubt it. Not only are the requirements more stringent in England (the standards are admittedly lower in Nigeria, although this should not detract from my suitability), but there is always a white person that the employer feels will be 'more suited' to the role, or who has the right look or better education or upbringing or experience or looks like the employer's nephew or uncle.

I guess I shouldn't blame them though, like employs like. The subtle and overt tribalism in Nigeria is similar to the subtle and overt racism is in England. But rather than work hard to break the Black ceiling, I just want to return to a country that likes me as I am. A country that will gladly take me back.

I also miss the freedom of being in Nigeria. I don't feel as constrained there. Here if you step out of line even a little bit, even innocently, like for instance parking in the wrong place by accident, you get into trouble straight away, no second chances. In Nigeria things are more laid back, more casual. You can smile your way out of trouble, and rules that hurt no one can be bent (I know Nigeria takes this philosophy way too far though.)

In Nigeria, in a land where anything goes, I felt emboldened to LIVE. Life was for the taking, and if you can get it, it's yours. You could go from zero to millionaire in a matter of days, and the rewards for good work knows no bounds. Generosity of wealth and spirit abound, and you could start a business tomorrow that will make you money immediately, no lengthy paperwork and licenses needed.

In England things are more prescribed and limited. No sudden moves. It's a stay in your lane, paycheck to paycheck lifestyle, and as winter approaches, a grey cloud seems to descend on everyone and we all stay deep in our daily routines; everyone in big black coats under grey skies, all living for the weekend or the next holiday abroad to somewhere sunny.

I also felt thoroughly invested in Nigeria. I felt that I was part of the narrative. I complained with everyone about everything, but deep down it felt good to have ownership over the woes of the nation. Nigeria still being problematic after 54 years of Independence was my problem too, and I wanted to make it better. I had a voice that sounded like everyone else's. Nigeria was mine for the loving, hating, liking. But in England, sometimes I feel detached from the primary concerns of most of its citizens, and other times I am actively opposed to the popular opinion.

The British love cats and dogs and there are several TV programmes and charities dedicated to their welfare, but I care not a jot for pets. Homosexuality is also now normal here, when I left England in 2011 I don't recall homosexual couples being on home improvement, antique hunts and other mundane aspects of British TV, but now every other couple on TV seems to be gay! Then there is the national preoccupation with cancer. Every where you go one organisation or another is trying to fight and beat cancer, but I don't want this disease shoved down my throat every day. Yes it affects many people, but do let's stop going on about it.

Then there's the average British person's love of a good moan. They moan about everything here, and their hate for politicians is so uncalled for, especially when British politicians are actively working hard in their jobs and are genuine public servants, and the minute they do something wrong they're out (did you hear about the journalist who faked a Twitter account to seduce an MP, and when he fell for it and sent back pictures of himself in pyjamas, the MP had to resign?). They should all try living in Nigeria for a week, they'll run back and hug all their MPs. Those on benefits moan that the council won't give them a bigger house, can you imagine? In Nigeria if your local House of Rep member gives you a bag of rice in his bid to get re-elected, you rejoice, here they are bitterly complaining that the free house and free money the government gives them is not enough.

In Nigeria, despite the harsh, unfair circumstances, Nigerians have the best sense of humour about it all. They insult and rain down curses on their leaders, but their patriotism is alive and well. They get up and get on with it, they hustle and they make life work for them. They have terrible habits some of them, but no one sits and complains and expects the government to help them lose weight or stop smoking or give them contentment, cos they know that's not happening.

I also like that Nigerians are on average religious-minded and traditionally inclined; they value marriage, respect, morals and propriety. Even though many sins occur behind closed doors, they are eager to portray a respectable facade. But in England, tradition is receding and nothing is sacred anymore. Anything goes in the name of post-modernity, and my traditionally-minded self cannot hack it.

So there are many aspects of British life that I feel is alien to my experience. Whearas in Nigeria, I felt plugged into every social issue and felt as strongly about certain things that ordinary Nigerians did. I could (and very nearly did) join protests in Nigeria about various issues, but I can't see myself protesting about anything in England.

I visit Nigerian blogs every day and follow many Nigerians on Twitter- I'm avidly keeping abreast of Nigerian news and views because it's more alive to me.

Does that mean I'm not British enough? I guess I fit into my 'Nigerian coat' better than I fit into my 'British coat,' but the irony is that in Nigeria I am more British than Nigerian to everyone else, and in England I'm Black British and that's OK, but it also means I find more people like me on the lower echelons of society than at the top, which is where I want to be.

Could this be a case of the grass being always greener on the other side? Human nature is a funny thing: a few months ago I couldn't wait to leave Abuja, now I'm yearning after the very thing I ran from. Don't get me wrong, England is a fabulous country and I'm lucky to be able to enjoy its many privileges, the NHS being number one. If I could take the NHS with me I would relocate to Nigeria tomorrow.

I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too. I want to to succeed, but in a safe country.

So I'm torn you guys. One minute I want to stay in England and make it work because it will be so worth it in the end, then the next I want to run back to Nigeria so I can feel alive and be called 'Madam' again. Then I think of falling sick in Abuja or of Boko Haram and I thank God I'm back in England. Sigh.

32 comments:

  1. It maybe time you try other European States where your British education will serve as a leverage. If you ever persuade yourself to return to Nigeria, make it after the election.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said though, I've lived in Spain and visited other European countries, and I find the UK the most 'Black friendly' and accommodating of all European countries. If I'm to excel anywhere outside of Africa, it would be in the UK because of my obvious connections to it and because there is an overt effort to tackle institutional racism here. Plus, I want to live in a country where the road signs are in English :)

      And yes you're right, I've been advised by many to hold off any thoughts of a return to Nigeria to after the elections at least.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm.... We really can't have all we wish for.

    I remember reading your post on returning back to England and thinking, that if maybe I was in your shoes or had the same opportunity I would have done so and hence couldn't blame you for your decision.
    But I'm quite surprised you miss Nigeria...:)
    Just take your time, be patient and follow your heart where it may be leading you. In time everything will get better and clearer.

    In all, interesting post. Especially the bit about Britain's obsession with animal charities and cancer campaigns. I was irritated by it all when I went on holiday recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the cats and cancer, I know right? In the Metro newspaper today, a woman dared to write in and say that humans are more important than animals, and you should have seen all the angry and passionate responses against her. I was like wait, but humans ARE more important...what the hell?

      In all, great advice, thanks.

      I feel a little (only a little) like the British health worker who contracted Ebola in Liberia, was flown back to England to be cured and now wants to return again. Sometimes supposedly 'undesirable' countries can capture your heart and fill a hole that England and all its advances can't fill.

      Delete
  3. Don't you think that the reason that Nigerians uphold you is the very reason -- but the opposite reason, however -- that British people may look down on you. The world has been made into a caste of white vs. black. The more "white" you are the more privileges you receive. By white, it doesn't only mean skin color but things associated with white culture, from dressing, to speech, to even religion (think muslim vs. christian, what the media shows as more reasonable). So when you receive privileges for your British accent and British education, it goes in line with the very reason why you might possibly be discriminated upon for not only the color of your skin but even your background working in an African country. I think the first step in changing things on our own end is to reject these privileges. Demand not to be treated differently from a Nigerian native. Demand not to be looked upon as better or smarter because of your British background. It's a psychological thing. The very reason you're elevated -- for being more white or more British -- is the very reason people clearly more British than you by the virtue of their skin color would easily discriminate against you. End the cycle by seeing all Nigerians as equal and deserving of equal treatment. No need for "Madam," no need to have easier access to the echelons of society because you're British (or else, you can't expect any different in Britain when you don't fit their new standard of what British should be.) The only difference between you and another Nigerian is the cards we were dealt. They are just as smart as you, just as intelligent as you. Sure a different environment. But with the right toolsets they can excel. That mindset is what we need to actually kindly chastise those who try to treat us differently because of our background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, very thought-provoking comment Uchenna, and you're right. I'm near-white enough in Nigeria to be privileged, but not white enough in England. Sad.

      But I think I would be foolish to reject any privileges that come my way in Nigeria. Why would I? I am not smarter simply because I am British, but because I worked hard to get the training and hone my skills and gain years of experience. Pure graft. I've put in the work so at my stage in life I feel I'm due professional success, and if Nigeria wants to give it to me, yes please and thank you. But I do not lord it over anyone. I met a vast array of quite brilliant Nigerians that I doffed my hat to, but *my playing small will not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around me, cos as I let my own light shine, I unconsciously give others permission to do the same.

      There's room at the table for me and other talented Nigerians too, and my ticket there should not be negated because I'm British and it was perhaps easier for me, cos I still earned it.

      *From Marrianne Williamson's 'A Return to Love'

      Delete
    2. I love your response about not playing small so that other people will not feel insecure. And I absolutely love the way you write.
      I think you would love Lagos; it would be a perfect mix of both worlds.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Anonymous! Lagos might be a bit too wild for me, no? But sure, I'd give it a try.

      Delete
  4. beriahng.blogspot.com

    No place like home

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog has been very interesting, informative & outrightly hilarious at times.

    You miss d 3rd very prominent religion in Nigeria, that is, the various traditional faiths. It cld be Oro in Yoruba, ekpe in Efik etc. Generally referred to as Cults in 9ja, these command d clandestine loyalty of both many Christians, Muslims & d rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks El Haj. I've also mentioned traditional religions in one of my other posts. There are many indigenous beliefs that continue on alongside Islam and Christianity.

      Delete
  6. You write beautifly, but your blog is not optimised, hence not a lot of people are seeing your posts in the search engines. I can optimise your blog. Have a look at the current blog I'm optimising. If you need help / suggestion, contact me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Buzz. I thought my blog's optimisation was fine till you mentioned it...hmmm.

      Delete
    2. Stumbled on your blog, again.
      Keyword: black british nigerian news blogger.
      You're on first page of Google. Fab :)

      My blog's url has changed :)

      Delete
    3. Hey Buzz, I checked and you're right! Wow, that made me smile. Guess my blog is OK optimisation-wise huh? Lol. Your blog is fab too :)

      Delete
  7. I suspect I know why you aren't fitting in the mold of the "journalist/editor" class...this paragraph gives an insight into why you don't pass the test of let's go have a drink in the pub:
    "The British love cats and dogs and there are several TV programmes and charities dedicated to their welfare, but I care not a jot for pets. Homosexuality is also now normal here, when I left England in 2011 I don't recall homosexual couples being on home improvement, antique hunts and other mundane aspects of British TV, but now every other couple on TV seems to be gay! Then there is the national preoccupation with cancer. Every where you go one organisation or another is trying to fight and beat cancer, but I don't want this disease shoved down my throat every day. Yes it affects many people, but do let's stop going on about it."

    As someone who works in corporate Britain, I understand your feelings. I get the subtle biases, the not fitting in...

    The reality is there are more members of the RSPCA than all the members of the different political parties combined.

    Homosexuality for you is a no, no. However, for the the Brits (you, me included), having them on TV should be a no brainer...in my mind, discriminating against them is the same as discriminating against any other minority.

    I am sure you will do well, you write very well and engagingly and lucidly. Hopefully, you don't have to subduct your core essence from yourself to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous, but the thing is that none of my 'unbritish' views are obvious at the job interview stage, and a love for animals or homosexuals are not requirements for any jobs I interview for. I don't drink or go to pubs either, but again that is not apparent on my CV.

      I went for an interview once and was sitting in the waiting room, and when my interviewer arrived he went straight for the blonde white woman next to me and addressed her with my name. I had to step in to tell him I was who he came for. My name and CV suggested I was white, which is probably why I get lots of interviews, yet no job in the end. And I interview very well.

      To clarify, I am uncomfortable with homosexuality, but I do not discriminate. I've worked with homosexuals and got on swimmingly with them. Discomfort with their private identity never detracts from a good relationship with their professional identity. I reserve the right to dislike it based on my personal sensibilities, even though the Western world wants me to love and approve of it by force.

      But amen to this: "Hopefully, you don't have to subduct your core essence from yourself to succeed."

      Delete
  8. There are 'black' people avheiving amazing success everywhere in the world. I would like to see this as the readers' opinion but there is a lot of generalisation which comes with the emotion of the reader.

    I think you should believe in yourself more and really the only thing in life stopping us is ourselves. London has so many successful black people , you probably just don't see them ; also dressed very nicely. If you have it at the back of your head I'm not getting ahead in life because of my colour, then that's bad.

    This is 2014, I think people black White ir whatever should stop seeing most things as a race issue, they do exist but it's almost like saying I'm not pretty enough. Your field is generally tough no doubt but just keep trying. You can always go back to Nigeria, just that there are only a handful of good journalists here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, I agree there are Black people achieving great things, members of my family included, but in my sector (journalism), race is a barrier and I say this from experience and talking to other journalists. Things are getting better though, and their are now schemes aimed at giving a leg up to young ethnic minority writers and broadcasters, which is great.

      Anyway, I have decided to stop trying now, and will look elsewhere for career success.

      Delete
  9. Try working in the city, not central and you will see how fabulous people dress black and White alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I work in the city (it's what I meant by central) and see those Black power dressers, but I think there should be more.

      Delete
  10. Auchomage here,
    Fulani-Nigerian.
    1) It is good you have a UK passport to allow you ease of movement, so you have choices.
    2) Do what you can here and improve your career. You can simultaneously, aim to become self-employed or freelance. This will allow you to travel to Nigeria frequently if that is what you want. If you really insist on returning to Africa, why not consider Ghana, it is geographically and culturally close without the eminent danger to yourself that comes with Nigeria . Ghana is stable & relatively well governed. It is in the West African orbit and you can 'pop' to Nigeria relatively quickly and easily, and head back to Ghana for safety and tranquility. Hausa is the lingua franca of Northern Ghana, indeed many people from Northern Ghana have the same or similar generic Muslim names as they do in Northern Nigeria, it would be like a home away from home.
    There are other media houses that are now taking an interest in Africa like Al-Jazeera I see Femi Oke (a Nigerian Briton) works for them. You've heard of Christian Purefoy, he is based out there and is self-employed. Maybe you can get some tips from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. auchomage,
      I'm the odd one out here, I didn't get a response, was my post so foolish to you? If it was, sorry about that

      Delete
    2. I didn't know you were so sensitive auchomage lol. I googled the names you mentioned and considered your comment after reading it, but the truth is the response would have been so long because I have lived in Ghana and have some opinion on living and working there long term, I've since changed my mind about returning to Nigeria and I'm done with journalism too for various reasons. So rather than expand on all of the above in a response I just let it be. I hope you understand :)

      Delete
  11. DAGA MURYAR ZAMFARA: LABARAI DA DUMI DUMINSU NA CEWA AN CAFKE WASU MOTOCIN SAFA SAFA 4 MAKARE DA SOJAN GONA DA AKA SAMO DON JEFA KURIA DA MATAWALLE YAYI HAYA DAGA KADUNA A KAN IYAKAR JIHAR YAU. WASU SOJAN GONAR DA KE CIKIN MOTOCIN SUN GUDU CIKIN DAJI. ABIN ALAJABI BAYA KAREWA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ummm...this doesn't really make sense to me, but maybe it means something to someone out there...??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello...
    What advise would you have for somebody planning to resign from a decent pay job in Nigeria to relocate to UK as an entrepreneur. ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say go for it. The UK is a safe country where government works and your rights are protected. But when you say entrepreneur, I wonder...cos UK is not like Nigeria where you can set up shop and start trading and making money straight away, you have to have the right paperwork, licenses, certificates and everything has to be above board (and can be expensive) otherwise you'll face the consequences, and you can't pay your way out of trouble.

      So if you have an established enterprise where you've done your research and already made some moves so that you know you can hit the ground running when you get to UK, fine and good. Otherwise make sure you have a lot of savings to shore you up until things pick up. The internet makes business easy nowadays anyway, so that's a bonus. But know your intended market well.

      Another thing is that the rewards of hard work are more obvious in Nigeria where money can buy you comfort and respect, and money flows more there than in the UK, where all your earnings are strictly monitored and mechanical and there are taxes and all kinds of bills to pay. And unless your intended enterprise is a guaranteed hit, your income might be less compared to what you earn in Nigeria, but some people would rather live a modest but secure lifestyle in an established, well-meaning country (free health care, good roads, emergency services that work, constant electricity and other basic amenities and efficient and accountable customer service) than live lavishly in a country where calamities could occur anytime and you're on your own.

      If you're single, this is also a great time to explore life in the UK, if you have a family there are also many other things to consider. Also don't burn bridges in Nigeria so that you won't be destitute in case you want to return later.

      If it's possible, I would actually advice you to try and have one leg in the UK for business and respite purposes and one in Nigeria, then you can have the best of both worlds.

      Delete
  14. i like the sincerity of your posts.
    I just concluded my university education in Nigeria and everyone expects me to travel overseas for a masters degree. I have not traveled out before but the stories i hear/read from Nigerian Bloggers over there discourages me a lot. If things are as they say they are over there, then i prefer to stay in my insecure and uncaring country, i think i can live with it's problems more than i can live with been black in a foreign land.

    By the way, your writing is captivating, unlike most journalists. You should be at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia, go for it and experience life abroad for yourself. Don't be discouraged. Yours might be a different story: you might love life abroad, find a successful career, find love, peace of mind etc. Many Nigerians would love an opportunity to extend their education abroad, so count yourself lucky, glean the advice you can from bloggers like us and others and go for it.

      If you hate it you can always return and hopefully still use what you gained over there for your good.

      And thanks for the compliment, I agree :)

      Delete