22 April 2013

Chimamanda Adichie, Natural Hair & Me

I have a crush on Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie. Never has a writer so captured my heart, mind and spirit like this Nigerian author, whose words represent all I want to be said and all I wish to say. Yet twice I have ran away from meeting her, shaking her hand and telling her how much I enjoy, appreciate, love and admire her body of work; from Purple Hibiscus, Half of a Yellow Sun, The Thing Around Your Neck and her latest novel, Americanah.


I was at the London Southbank Centre in 2009 where she read excerpts from the then unreleased The Thing Around Your Neck in her powerful, regal tones, uncorrupted by a fake foreign accent. She was by far the most intriguing of the ladies reading from their works up on that stage, and I will be eternally disappointed that I was unable to make it to her reading of Americanah at the same venue a few weeks ago.
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The way she captures the Nigerian identity today, the nuances and pretences and false beliefs and hopes of our parents, ourselves and our society, of how strong-minded, globally connected and aspiring Nigerians grapple with embracing our broken motherland despite the allure of the US, which represents both greener pastures and a lesson in self-awareness that leaves us straddling between two cultures, neither of which fully satisfy.

Her heroines are epic: saturnine, brooding, melancholy, passive aggressive, intensely cerebral women who quietly bear the pressure they're under, until the day they snap and walk away from what is supposedly every Nigerian woman's dream: the good but uniquely flawed man, the dream job/opportunity that eats away at your soul, the chance to live or stay in America but betray yourself.
She is the voice of the upwardly mobile Nigerian today, just like Chinua Achebe (their names will forever be linked in reviews and editorials) was the voice of his generation. The late great said of her:

“We do not usually associate wisdom with beginners, but here is a new writer endowed with the gift of ancient storytellers. [She] knows what is at stake, and what to do about it. She is fearless.”

He is spot on. It must be so fulfilling for Adichie to have someone so worthyunderstand her work so well.
Her poise – one interviewer described her as ‘contained’- is obvious and her sense of self is empowering.

Yet I ran away from meeting her. The first time was after the book reading at London Southbank Centre, where I left afterwards instead of lingering behind to shake the hand of the woman ‘endowed with the gift of ancient storytellers.’ Then during another event at an arts venue near Clapham Junction station a year or so later where she did a book signing afterwards (I have a recording of her talk on my phone) I’d taken my copies of her books for her to sign, but I could not face her. A friend had to take it to her for her to sign for me, whilst I literally ran away to a corner of the auditorium and hid. I'm not entirely sure why.
My friends tried to physically pull me to where she was but I refused to see her. So she signed it, plus, Plus! she spelt my name right. A name that is usually spelt with two Ls but mine is with one L, and many don’t know that, but she did. That confirmed to me that we were kindred spirits. Just like Achebe ‘got’ her, she got me, and I get her.
Adichie with her second book, Half of a Yellow Sun which won the 2007 Orange Prize for Fiction
Adichie is one of the very few people I will pay money to go see. Music is not my thing, but books are, and her books are my favourite. She is to me what Beyonce or Michael Jackson is to music lovers. It would be Adichie's poster I would have on my wall and it would be her concerts I would go to and it would be her CDs I would know all the words too. I love to see genius; that honest, unbridled, natural and seemingly effortless ability, humanity and humility certain great people have. So imagine my joy when that person is a female Nigerian young enough to be my contemporary, with similar experiences of traversing both the Western and African continents? I positively reverberated with excitement when I learnt more about her. 




As a fellow writer and commentator on race and belonging, her works and her words in the many interviews I’ve read of hers are what mine would be. Her thoughts on the poor reading culture in Nigeria and her efforts to open a library and literary centres around Nigeria are my thoughts and desires. Her view on ‘The Dangers of the Single Story,’ which she spoke about so eloquently during the now well-known TED Talks is exactly how I feel about the media when it gives only one view of a place or a people, and the ripple effect of not knowing the full story.
I used her words as part of my Masters dissertation, mostly because it matched my subject of study and also because I loved what she said and how she said it. Listen for yourself here.

Then there is a subject she espouses on at length in much of her writing, especially in her latest book Americanah: her love for natural hair, something I too feel very strongly about. 

Adichie and her natural hair
But my natural hair journey did not begin with any strong notion of expressing my Africanness by eschewing the false notion of beauty that meant having straight long hair sewn into mine (I’ve never sewn a weave into my hair in my life) or the fallacy of relaxing my hair straight by burning away its natural curls. But six years ago I decided against spending £60 every month to 'fix' my hair and spending six hours in a chair getting it fixed, so I simply stopped relaxing it and waited for my own hair to grow long enough so I could cut off the relaxed ends.

Thankfully my hair is easy to comb out, but the early stages of having a boyish short cut was challenging until it grew long enough to style, although sadly it never grew as long as it once was. Now in Nigeria I get compliments by women who wish they could ‘go natural’ but can’t because of their receding hairline resulting from too many tight braids or because their natural hair is too tough. Now I love my hair; it’s cheaper to manage and takes little time to do up in the morning. It’s how God created it and its texture is just the way He wanted it to be. Fulani women are usually less likely than other Nigerian women to wear weaves anyway, because their hair is usually longer and softer with finer curls, and also because they mostly cover it up and are not under pressure to show it off in different styles. This in itself is a shame, i.e. the women with the loveliest hair are the ones that cover it up.


There’s a saying that ‘If there’s something that makes you unique, don’t change it just so you blend in.’ My natural hair is unique in a sea of Brazilian weaves, hair extensions and relaxed hair. Although I’ve worn wigs and had braids, mostly during the harsh winters in the UK or just for a change, because there is something incredibly feminine about having long hair skimming your shoulders. But my natural hair reigns supreme.

And of course Adichie understands the importance of Black women freeing themselves from the pressure of wearing synthetic or another woman’s hair, which they deem more beautiful than their own. She said:
“As you can see, I have natural, negro hair, free from relaxers and things... From when I was three years old I already had the idea that straight hair was beautiful and my hair was ugly. But then when I went to America, I suddenly found out I was Black! Suddenly I started thinking, why do I want my hair to look like a white girls’ hair? This is absurd.”
Then she said:

"My hair is in tiny cornrows; I have a big ponytail on the top of my head. I quite like it. It is natural. I am a bit of a fundamentalist when it comes to black women's hair. Hair is hair – yet also it's about larger questions: self-acceptance, insecurity and what the world tells you is beautiful. For many black women, the idea of wearing their hair naturally is unbearable."
In Americanah, Adichie describes her main character Ifemelu getting her hair relaxed:
“She left the salon almost mournfully; while the hairdresser had flat-ironed the ends, the smell of burning, of something organic dying which should not have died, had made her feel a sense of loss.”
I was also happy to hear that Adichie is now married to a fellow Igbo doctor based in America. I’m a traditionalist, so no matter how great a woman’s achievements are and no matter how much I admire them, I always feel sad for them if they are unmarried and childless. Like Condoleeza Rice, the former US Secretary of state who got her PhD aged 26, is an accomplished pianist and speaks English, Russian, French, Spanish and German fluently, but is childless and single. Or Oprah Winfrey, who I adore and was bereaved when her show ended, and loved her even more after watching a documentary about the OWLAG school for girls she opened in South Africa. Yet I feel she is incomplete for never having married or raised her own kids. Although in her case (and probably Rice’s too) she might not have achieved so much if she were a housewife.

But marriage seems to have added nothing to Adichie: she was whole since writing Half of a Yellow Sun. After reading her first novel Purple Hibiscus, I could see the writer emerging, but by Yellow Sun Adichie had arrived. And she remains in a state of ‘arrival’ and will continue to be a fully fledged, composed and confident writer.
Her powerful prose, the fact that she writes about the reality of straddling multiple cultures, the way she views whites in the West without sentiment or ass-kissing and her rendering of fully-formed characters who see and question life like real people do is right up my street.


After The Thing Around Your Neck, I waited for more. Then forgot that I was waiting. Then I heard the news last week that her latest novel will be out in a couple of weeks (Where was I?? I’ve dropped the ball on my Adichie-watch. In the UK I googled her endlessly and had read every bit of her online writing and interviews up until a certain point) and I was elated.
The premise of Americanah, of two high-school sweethearts in Nigeria finding themselves in different continents, one in US the other in UK and their resulting experiences of race, employment, relationships abroad, identity etc has gotten me so excited. I can’t wait to read it.

Adichie's new book: Americanah

But one thing Adichie said encapsulated my feelings, but in the opposite way to how she meant it:
“I like America but it’s not mine and it never will be. I don’t really have a life there. I travel and I speak and I sit in my study trying to write, but in Nigeria I have a life. I go out, I have friends, I feel emotionally invested in what’s happening.”

This. This is how I feel, but about the UK. I like Nigeria but it’s not mine. Alas, dear Adichie, this is where we disagree. Where Nigeria is home for you and the West is a sojourn, I feel the opposite. But we’re still related you and I. We still share an understanding of the world and an appreciation of the important things that make us African women in a globalised world. I love your audacity to write about what’s real to you, not what will bring you money. You speak for all of us and say it with maturity and knowing and humour and power.
Long may your pen continue to write. We may have lost Achebe, the father of African writing but we still have you, a daughter of today’s Africa who we can claim for ourselves. Write and write until you can write no more, because for every word you write there are many like me who devour them with relish.

Perhaps one day I will overcome my innate Fulani shyness and come face to face with you. I might cry, I might laugh, I might stare at you motionless and remain mute, coming off as aloof when inside I’m dancing. But whether I meet you in person or not, I will continue to meet you in your books.
Americanah here I come!

UPDATE
I've now read Americanah, and it is all I expected and so much more. I absolutely loved it! My review will be up soon once I've had time to fully digest it and formulate a worthy articulation of its brilliance and particular resonance with me on so many levels.

18 comments:

  1. Loved your post
    "Now in Nigeria I get compliments by women who wish they could ‘go natural’ but can’t because of their receding hairline resulting from too many tight braids or because their natural hair is too tough. "

    So you can't go natural if your natural hair is too tough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what they say. That it's too tough to style every day and weave is easier to manage...

      Delete
  2. Umm...OK thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful and mesmerizing post. I loved it. I haven't read any of Chimamanda's books yet (I have this queer habit of reading after the hype is gone) but I must say I was very impressed by her TED talk on the danger of a single story.

    On natural hair, I like Chimamanda's stance. Variety never hurts but when a certain range of options become an enslaving alternative, it becomes a problem. And this extends to the larger problem of artificiality: women with beautiful nails, always fixing fake nails; those with lovely and long lashes fixing terrible looking artificial ones. It is sad.

    I should also say that I love your writing style: fluid, easy to understand and sincere. Or maybe it's because I am hopelessly in love with Fulani women? Lol. I hope your dreams come true in their most complete form.

    I write too. If you have the time, you can read my latest (fiction). It is set in Taraba state, Northern Nigeria. http://www.naijastories.com/2013/05/quarter-to-eleven/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samuel, thanks for your comment. I implore you to read CA's books now because the hype might never go!

      I will check out your fiction, and thanks for saying this: "I hope your dreams come true in their most complete form." Amen to that! And ditto :)

      Delete
    2. PS, I read Quarter to Eleven, what a vivid, haunting story! And very powerful too. I'm impressed.

      Don't forget to send me the amazon link to your book when it's published!

      Delete
  4. Awww, after reading this post and your most recent post about Chimmy, i can feel the big let down you had. I blogged about it too but I still love Chimmy, warts and all.
    Just got my e-version of Americanah. cant wait to settle into it.

    I dont know if i agree with you about marriage and progeny making a woman complete. Marriage is not for everyone. nor is childbirth. Worse what of women who for medical reasons cant birth...are they incomplete? Priests choose to be spiritual fathers of many through their evangelism..are they incomplete too? I believe in the end, we should only strive to be remembered for serving God wholly, for doing our jobs well, for loving our neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginger, you're absolutely right, marriage and babies are not necessary to make a woman complete.

      The thing about blogging is that I get to share the evolution of my thoughts with the world, and my mind and ideologies change over time. What I wrote here I fully believed at the time, but today I think quite differently. Sometimes I re-read my old posts and I'm like 'Really? I forgot/ can't believe I thought like this'.

      But it's all part of the journey :)

      Delete
  5. Came across your blog after a friend to the 'expert fulani' link on Facebook and I haven't stopped going through your posts! It's Christmas morning, the weather outside leaves very little to be desired for and I'm still in bed reading you! What a refreshing writer.
    Merry Christmas! :-D

    Doose
    Chronicles of a Bionic Woman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love CA and so happy that more of the world knows here thanks to Queen B. The comment about women with the loveliest hair because it is "longer, softer, finer curls". ....made me rather sad because...well too many reasons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead Wonderlusting, give me some of the reasons...why did it make you sad?

      Delete
  7. I love how you hooked your readers with that captivating first line! I have been teaching Adichie's 'Half of a Yellow Sun' on theCreative Writing course at the uni where I teach, for a few years now and I'm also a fan of the author; her voice is mesmerising. I was really excited when 'Americanah' was released because the art of Cornrow and how some African people use it to communicate non-verbally has been the focus of my storytelling and craft work for a few years.

    Here's a link to a book (The Legendary Weaver: New Edition) on how the craft came into existence. The book is used as a reader on a 3rd year Prose fiction course at my uni. Please let me know what you think if you ever read it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Legendary-Weaver-New-Edition/dp/0954625528/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400750836&sr=8-1&keywords=abimbola+alao

    ...And a website - www.thelegendaryweaver.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. "the women with the loveliest hair are the ones that cover it up." so a looser hair texture is lovelier? smh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes Anonymous, according to what other Black women have been telling me for years. And considering that women relax their hair to achieve that type of texture because it is softer and easier to comb and style than the tougher texture of the average African hair, I would say the smoother texture is more desirable = lovelier. It is what it is.

      Delete
  9. I love your blog. I am a megafan of CA, long before Beyonce introduced her beautiful words to the mass public. I am African-American and a University Professor who'll be again teaching a class in Politics of Africa this Fall. However, I teach it from a very different younger perspective - so I'd like to have you perhaps Blog/Skype/Tweet or interact with my students this Fall. Please let me know if you do this sort of thing. As someone who lived and studied in the UK for a while I appreciate cross-cultural perspective like yours.
    {As for what led me to your blog - I am an American who after my zillionieth (felt like it) trip to Brazil and West Africa - was tired of not having an answer for the question; 'Where are you from?" So now I have had my African Ancestry DNA analyses. I am (on my mother's side) a 99% match with Northern Nigeria - but almost completely mixed equally with Yoruba and Fulani. No wonder I so closely resemble the Northern Brazilians who almost all bear Nigerian, particularly Yoruba, descent, and the West Africans I visit often. It is a relief, as most African Americans no nothing of their ancestry past a great-grandparent, if they are lucky. Now I know where I truly belong, and I am delighted to legally take a Yoruba name to add to my own. I am grateful to have a people to claim. Continued blessings and continued creativity to you.}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prof Schwartz, apologies for the late reply, and thank you for the compliments. I'd love to be part of your class, please send me an email on sweetweet121@gmail.com to confirm. Thanks.

      Delete